[j-nsp] inet6 ttl filter / equivalent of hop-limit on non MX series

Dave Bell me at geordish.org
Mon Nov 23 04:27:44 EST 2015

Hi Scott,

I would drop that accept-traceroute-tcp term. It will allow any TCP
traffic with a TTL of 1. If you can fudge your TTL (Simple on linux,
just write the value to /proc/sys/net/ipv4/ip_default_ttl) then you
can connect to any open TCP port. Additionally I don't think I've seen
a legitimate use case for TCP traceroute.

As for how to implement this in IPv6... I'm unsure. I suspect without
the hop-limit statement being available you are going to be stuffed.
You could just make do with ICMP traceroute, and don't bother with
checking the TTL field.

Regards,
Dave