[j-nsp] Cisco ASR 9001 vs Juniper MX104

Mark Tinka mark.tinka at seacom.mu
Mon Nov 30 06:17:43 EST 2015

On 30/Nov/15 12:34, john doe wrote:

> Hey guys,
>
> Working on a project here and it's more or less SP focused,
>
> Which is not a muscle I've worked on lately, mostly been doing campus stuff.
>

> Looking at MX104 vs ASR 9001 as a potential solution.
>
> Requirements are fairly straightforward  - 1GE to collect customers and 10GE going northbound (up to 30 Gbps), full MPLS and IP stack, possibly Carrier NAT.
>
> Customer wants a box that will give them most room to grown in terms of scale/features. And we can't go full modular since rack space is big pain for these guys. Price is also an issue (as usual)
>
> I heard good stuff about Juniper SP gear, while not so complimentary things of ASR. But that was when platform was introduced and they had all sorts of IOS-XR adventures.
>
> Would love to hear some input from here as vendor claims are conflicting (nothing new here I guess)

The MX104 has dual RE's, while the ASR9001 only one RP.

The current MX104 RE's are quite slow, but since they are modular, the
unit could get a quicker one in the future.

The ASR9001 has more capacity (120Gbps) vs. the MX104 which is only 80Gbps.

The MX104 has 4x modular slots while the ASR9001 has only 2x.

The ASR9001 is physically smaller than the MX104, so if rack space is
tight, the Cisco is a better option.

Feature-wise, Junos and IOS XR won't let you down. Your decision factors
are most likely going to be price.

Personally, if you're going to be running policers on LAG's, Junos on
the Trio chipset is better than what Cisco currently have.

Mark.