[j-nsp] Cisco ASR 9001 vs Juniper MX104

Colton Conor colton.conor at gmail.com
Mon Nov 30 23:00:06 EST 2015

I have looked and priced both platforms from Juniper and Cisco. Both would
require two routers for true redundancy as expected. Cisco said instead of
getting two 9001s, why not look at the ASR9010. They had a promo for free
RSPs if you buy two cards. The price of the ASR9010 with two cards was just
about the same price as two 9001s. And a much better deal than the MX104
fully licensed with two REs and similar cards.

So is looking at something like the ASR9010 worth it even if you only need
30Gbps northbound for now? I know for the OP space is a concern so
the ASR9010, but for those of you with plenty of space what is your overall
thoughts?

Other options might be a used MX240 with older RE's and DPC cards.