[j-nsp] convert config from m120 to mx480

Chuck Anderson cra at WPI.EDU
Fri Oct 2 13:31:35 EDT 2015

On Fri, Oct 02, 2015 at 12:08:34PM -0500, David B Funk wrote:
> We have a venerable m120 that's being used as an edge router in our
> department on campus. We've recently acquired an mx480 as a replacement.
>
> I'm trying to decide the best way to port the m120 config to the mx480;
> Either a pretty much straight up port (strictly a L3 device) or try
> to convert it to a L2/L3 config that can utilize some of the switching
> features of the mx480.
>
> Anybody have suggestions or advice for this scenario?

Keep it strictly as a L3 device.  Eliminate as much L2 as possible
from your network :-)

Some recommended blog posts:

http://blog.ipspace.net/2011/10/l2-or-l3-switching-in-campus-networks.html

http://blog.ipspace.net/2015/04/what-is-layer-2-and-why-do-we-need-it.html