[j-nsp] Multi Core on JUNOS?

Saku Ytti saku at ytti.fi
Thu Oct 8 12:34:25 EDT 2015

On 8 October 2015 at 18:33, Colton Conor <colton.conor at gmail.com> wrote:

> You seem to be very familiar with the major routing vendors implementations
> on SMP. Do you consider the lack of SMP support on Juniper a reason not to
> go with Juniper until implemented. Particularly interested to hear about
> JunOS vs TimOS.

No, definitely not. If it works for your application, how it works
it's not super important.

On average I've been more successful on inferior architecture like
JunOS compared to superior architecture like IOS-XR. In the end,
implementation is so much more determining factor than design.

I don't run TimOS myself, but when I talk to people running
non-trivial size TimOS networks they seem to be very happy about the
software quality. The control-plane of TimOS raises some concerns to
me, as the OS is forked version of vxWorks, with no sync to either
direction, so essentially ALU's own operating system for all practical
purposes, the SMP in TimOS predates SMP in vxWorks. CSCO and JNPR get
new control-plane HW support for free, while ALU clearly needs to
write code for that.
TimOS has been able to distribute work from BGP to many cores, as far
as I know all other vendors will only ever use one core for BGP at
given time.

--
  ++ytti