[j-nsp] Limit on interfaces in bundle

Saku Ytti saku at ytti.fi
Thu Oct 29 10:09:02 EDT 2015

On 29 October 2015 at 14:22, Cydon Satyr <cydonsatyr at gmail.com> wrote:

> Any real drawbacks to running something like 32x10Gbps LAG link in core
> instead of higher bandwidth physical links? Just seems so unreal.

I imagine you have 70% utilisation, so you have 96Gbps of free
capacity, but any single stream can only get 3Gbps, which may no be
acceptable to all customers.  So you may need to upgrade capacity
earlier than you'd want to.
Another difference is that you may lose capacity fractionally, so you
may need to think bit about what is sensible 'min-links' setting.

JunOS does have these days adaptive balancing, which essentially
monitors if one link has higher utilisation than others, then proceeds
to give smaller share of hash results to that interface. I don't know
how well it works in practice.

--
  ++ytti