[j-nsp] Limit on interfaces in bundle

Mark Tinka mark.tinka at seacom.mu
Thu Oct 29 10:19:17 EDT 2015

On 29/Oct/15 16:09, Saku Ytti wrote:

> JunOS does have these days adaptive balancing, which essentially
> monitors if one link has higher utilisation than others, then proceeds
> to give smaller share of hash results to that interface. I don't know
> how well it works in practice.

It works okay for IP traffic.

But we've had issues with it working for Layer 2 traffic which is
carried in an EoMPLS pw. We had to workaround this by switching from
"adaptive" to "per-packet". I know what you're thinking - no, we have
not had any "per-packet"-related issues, as the downlink device to which
the traffic is being sent is local within the data centre.

All the hashing features and algorithms that were present simply could
not handle hashing outbound Layer 2 traffic equally. Juniper seemed to
indicate some improvements for this in Junos 15, but 14.2 has been super
stable for us and we'd like to keep it that way.

Mark.