[j-nsp] port or ifl, not vlan based, E-VPN?

Michael Hare michael.hare at wisc.edu
Mon Sep 14 16:33:09 EDT 2015

Hello-

I come greenfield to multipoint ethernet MPLS, so I have essentially zero experience with VPLS.

I am currently using l2circuit to provide vlan agnostic point to point for our EDUs, but there is a desire to multipoint for redundancy.

I've read [and labbed] through the excellent "DAY ONE: USING ETHERNET VPNS FOR DATA CENTER INTERCONNECT", specifically the example using virtual-switch to transmitting multiple ESI (vlans) inside a single EVI.  For now there is no IP-VPN portion of the E-VPN service I'm looking to deploy so I am left with a question; are there any hacks allowing the P/PE to be ignorant of the CE-vlan?

Given that loop prevention is per EVI/ESI I suspect the answer is no, but I [and the users] have enjoyed not having to tell me each time they spin up a new vlan.

However I see "port-based" options pop up in Juniper E-VPN whitepapers but can't find any documentation or examples.

link: http://www.juniper.net/assets/us/en/local/pdf/whitepapers/2000596-en.pdf
search for "This service type also supports a special case known as a port-based service interface, where all of the VLANs on a port are part of the same service and map to the same bundle."

Is this whitepaper describing the virtual-switch day one example or something else?

Absent this, has anyone successfully used dual l2circuits as an alternative?  I'm not thrilled about relying on customer loop prevention [spanning tree, LAG/multichassis LAG], but wondering if I could storm control/ddos-protection my way out of a customer bridge loop if it were to occur.

-Michael