[j-nsp] upgrading a ex4550 VC to 15R1.8 using non-stop-upgrade

Peter Tavenier petertavenier at gmail.com
Wed Sep 23 17:11:08 EDT 2015

> On 23 Sep 2015, at 14:48, Simone Spinelli <simone.spinelli at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Hi all,
>
> few days ago we upgraded a 6 members VC of ex4550 from 12.3R6 to 15R1.8.
> using nssu precedure.
> We have linjux boxes connected with LACP on different member.
> We checked all the requirement listed on:
> http://www.juniper.net/techpubs/en_US/junos14.2/topics/task/installation/ex-series-software-upgrading-nssu-fixed-virtual-chassis-cli.html
>
> After we started the upgrade , all the LACP links  went down (one by one
> depending on the upgraded member), even if linecards were up and running
> and connected to the VC.
> In the end, everything went back to normal when the master RE came up.
> Actually a member was still stuck with all the LACP ports in "detached"
> state: after a manual reboot, it went ok.
>
> Did anybody have a similar issue?
> Any suggestion for investigation?

Hi Simone,

If you see http://www.juniper.net/techpubs/en_US/release-independent/junos/topics/reference/general/ex-series-nssu-support-tables.html#ex4200-4500-vc
and then the PR1030508 you see there were some issue’s with this 12.3R6 release, so not sure if you hit that.

However even if you don’t use NSSU I think this upgrade path (did you upgrade directly to 15R1.8?) is not supported[1]

"Support for upgrades and downgrades that span more than three Junos OS releases at a time is not provided, except for releases that are designated as Extended End-of-Life (EEOL) releases.”
and
"You can upgrade or downgrade to the EEOL release that occurs directly before or after the currently installed EEOL release, or to two EEOL releases earlier or later.”

- JunOS 12.3 is an Extended End of Life (EEOL) Release[2]
- JunOS 13.3 and 14.1 are also EEOL.
So you could upgrade form 12.3 to 14.1 (I’m not sure if ISSU is supported in this path as well).

[1] http://www.juniper.net/techpubs/en_US/junos15.1/information-products/topic-collections/release-notes/15.1/topic-83365.html#rn-junos-ex-migration-upgrade-downgrade
[2] http://www.juniper.net/support/eol/junos.html

--
Peter