[j-nsp] Full routes on MX5

Michael Loftis mloftis at wgops.com
Wed Apr 27 13:48:29 EDT 2016

You'll definitely be a lot happier with the bigger RE's...usually my
convergence time at $dayJob is generally 3 minutes or less, with the less
often depending on how fast we get routes form the other guy when a transit
flaps.  Cold starts are a little ugly-ish with the number of full tables we
take in but still ~5 minutes usually once booted...that RARELY happens
though, esp now w/ 14.2's ISSU on MPCs...  This is on an MX960 w/ MPC's --
DPCs actually slowed the RIB->FIB process down I don't remember exact
timings sorry -- 14.2 train as well which makes huge differences if you're
using flow, and that definitely slows things down.

dfz.inet.0: 585059 destinations, 4046049 routes (585049 active, 0 holddown,
7770 hidden)
                 BGP: 4045889 routes, 584900 active

Routing Engine status:
  Slot 0:
    Current state                  Master
    Election priority              Master (default)
    Temperature                 32 degrees C / 89 degrees F
    CPU temperature             32 degrees C / 89 degrees F
    DRAM                      16349 MB (16384 MB installed)
    Memory utilization          21 percent
    CPU utilization:
      User                       1 percent
      Background                 0 percent
      Kernel                     4 percent
      Interrupt                  2 percent
      Idle                      93 percent
    Model                          RE-S-1800x4
    Serial ID                      ...
    Start time                     ...
    Uptime                         ...
    Last reboot reason             Router rebooted after a normal shutdown.
    Load averages:                 1 minute   5 minute  15 minute
                                       0.01       0.08       0.07

On Wed, Apr 27, 2016 at 5:57 AM, Matthew Crocker <matthew at corp.crocker.com>
wrote:

> I’m basically the same:   I have MX480s with 64G REs on order
>
> Convergence time is horrific (10 minutes) but luckily stable sessions keep
> that from happening often.
>
> MX80-1SUMMER> show bgp summary
> Groups: 10 Peers: 15 Down peers: 2
> Table          Tot Paths  Act Paths Suppressed    History Damp State
> Pending
> inet.0
>                  1766527     600191          0          0          0
>     0
> inet6.0
>                    26952      13477          0          0          0
>     0
>

> MX80-1SUMMER> show chassis routing-engine
> Routing Engine status:
>     Temperature                 39 degrees C / 102 degrees F
>     CPU temperature             51 degrees C / 123 degrees F
>     DRAM                      2048 MB (2048 MB installed)
>     Memory utilization          89 percent
>     CPU utilization:
>       User                       2 percent
>       Background                 5 percent
>       Kernel                    13 percent
>       Interrupt                  1 percent
>       Idle                      79 percent
>     Model                          RE-MX80
>     Serial ID                      S/N ABBM2981
>     Start time                     2015-04-08 17:41:16 UTC
>     Uptime                         384 days, 19 hours, 7 minutes, 46
> seconds
>     Last reboot reason             Router rebooted after a normal shutdown.
>     Load averages:                 1 minute   5 minute  15 minute
>                                        0.12       0.24       0.20
>

> MX80-1SUMMER> show route summary
> Autonomous system number:
> Router ID:
>
> inet.0: 600648 destinations, 1766666 routes (600638 active, 10 holddown, 0
> hidden)
> Restart Complete
>               Direct:      7 routes,      7 active
>                 OSPF:    506 routes,    502 active
>                  BGP: 1766144 routes, 600120 active
>               Static:      1 routes,      1 active
>                  LDP:      2 routes,      2 active
>
> show system memory
> System memory usage distribution:
>        Total memory: 2072576 Kbytes (100%)
>     Reserved memory:   36896 Kbytes (  1%)
>        Wired memory:  294748 Kbytes ( 14%)
>       Active memory: 1390992 Kbytes ( 67%)
>     Inactive memory:  122924 Kbytes (  5%)
>        Cache memory:  143348 Kbytes (  6%)
>         Free memory:   82920 Kbytes (  4%)
>

> Matthew Crocker
> President - Crocker Communications, Inc.
> Managing Partner - Crocker Telecommunications, LLC
> E: matthew at corp.crocker.com
> E: matthew at crocker.com
>

> > On Apr 26, 2016, at 3:26 PM, Eduardo Schoedler <listas at esds.com.br>
> wrote:
> >
> > Hi Colton,
> >
> > Yes, it's very high.... but it's working ok :)
> > 3 full tables (~580k each) + 4x IXP route-server (~60k each) + 1
> > peering with HE (81k).
> >
> > Indeed, convergence it's terrible... for my luck, these sessions are
> > pretty stable.
> >
> > --
> [...]

into trouble of all kinds."
-- Samuel Butler