[j-nsp] 15.1 on MX104

Josh Baird joshbaird at gmail.com
Wed Aug 3 11:14:57 EDT 2016

Hi,

I have a MX104 running 13.3R6.5 that is hitting PR1080566.  I'm looking to
either upgrade to 14.2R6 or 15.1R6.  I know that a new FreeBSD kernel is
introduced in 15.1, but based on the PPC architecture of the RE-MX-104, I
don't believe I will be able to take advantage of the new kernel so I won't
get the key features like SMP, etc [1].  Is this a correct statement?

In addition, it appears that in versions prior to 15.1, the MX104 is able
to utilize the full 4GB on a 32bit platform due to the way that swap pages
were counted as part of the memory file system partition.  Starting in
15.1, this has changed and I will only get 3Gb usable [1].  This box will
be taking three full tables, so I think having the additional 1Gb of memory
will be beneficial.

Given that the MX104 cannot really take advantage of the new FreeBSD kernel
and associated features (SMP, etc) and that total available memory will be
decreased, I'm thinking of upgrading to 14.2R6 instead.  What are
everyone's thoughts?

[1] Page 17 -
http://www.juniper.net/techpubs/en_US/junos15.1/information-products/pathway-pages/software-installation-and-upgrade/software-installation-and-upgrade.pdf

Thanks,