[j-nsp] EX4550 - global or per-vlan mac table?

Jeff Jeff.Meyers at gmx.net
Mon Aug 22 04:41:55 EDT 2016

Hello,

does anyone know if the EX4550 has a real "per VLAN" mac table? I am
asking because we recently saw the router MAC changing from the switches
uplink to the customer's downlink in his vlan, most likely caused by a
loop of some kind. According to

 > show ethernet-switching table

The location of the mac changed on the customer's vlan only but we had
global effects that reached every customer not only on that switch but
on other switches in the same hierarchy and below as well and many, many
storm-control messages in the devices. So it looks like although the
switch RE shows a per-vlan mac table, it actually uses a kind of "least
recently learned" algorithm globally as long as the mac is identical.

Can someone confirm this? Will a static mac entry for the router work if
I just add it to any random vlan or do  I have to add an entry for each
vlan individuelly although the mac stays the same?

Thanks!