[j-nsp] EX4550 - global or per-vlan mac table?

Sebastian Wiesinger sebastian at karotte.org
Mon Aug 22 06:04:30 EDT 2016

* Jeff <Jeff.Meyers at gmx.net> [2016-08-22 10:45]:
> Hello,
>
> does anyone know if the EX4550 has a real "per VLAN" mac table? I am asking
> because we recently saw the router MAC changing from the switches uplink to
> the customer's downlink in his vlan, most likely caused by a loop of some
> kind. According to
>
> > show ethernet-switching table
>
> The location of the mac changed on the customer's vlan only but we had
> global effects that reached every customer not only on that switch but on
> other switches in the same hierarchy and below as well and many, many
> storm-control messages in the devices. So it looks like although the switch
> RE shows a per-vlan mac table, it actually uses a kind of "least recently
> learned" algorithm globally as long as the mac is identical.

Hi,

a specific MAC table entry is VLAN specific but a loop will wreck
havoc on all customers on the switch, as the table itself is global
and aging-out / learning happens globally. In case of a loop entries
will age out and be relearned continously which will impact everybody.

Regards

Sebastian

--
GPG Key: 0x93A0B9CE (F4F6 B1A3 866B 26E9 450A  9D82 58A2 D94A 93A0 B9CE)
            -- Terry Pratchett, The Fifth Elephant