[j-nsp] Juniper routing and switch lab support required

Dale Shaw dale.shaw+j-nsp at gmail.com
Wed Aug 24 23:59:01 EDT 2016

Hi Hitesh,

On 25 August 2016 at 13:40, Hitesh Kumar <bhardwajhitesh9 at gmail.com> wrote:

> I am struggling for preparing a Juniper lab for Juniper Routing and
> Switching.
>
> I am using juniper vSRX on VMWare workstation. I am not able to practise
> ethernet switching commands. Need support to get the proper ova file for
> pracising it at home.
>
> I am preparing for JNCIP-ENT exam, which essentially require to get
> practise on box. Please guide me for the same. It would be great help if I
> get some material in any form to prepare for the certification.

The only virtual instantiation of a Juniper switching product is the
vQFX10K:

See: https://github.com/Juniper/vqfx10k-vagrant

You'll need to contact your friendly Juniper SE for a copy of the images,
and right now only VirtualBox is supported.

You could also play with a trial of vMX. Be aware that with both vQFX10K
and vMX, the config syntax does differ slightly to, say, EX4200.

Part (all?) of the reason you won't find anything else is that the other
switching platforms are based on Marvell or Broadcom PFEs, and Juniper is
not as free to distribute virtual editions of those technologies.

Your other option is to pick up a 2nd hand EX-series switch or, depending
on how far you want to go with it, use the Ethernet switching capabilities
of SRX branch series (again, these can be picked up cheaply on the 2nd hand
market). If you have a relationship with Juniper, you might be able to
borrow some gear from your SE until you pass the exam.

Cheers,
Dale