[j-nsp] ACX2200 - bandwidth control at subinterfaces

Chris Kawchuk juniperdude at gmail.com
Thu Aug 25 22:22:31 EDT 2016

You mean scheduler maps/shaping on a subinterface?

Correct.

EX doesn't do per-unit schedulers. If they did, nobody would buy an MX for HQoS. ;)

You can do hard policers though... which is nasty.

I think you can still shape per-queue (i.e. [edit class-of-service schedulers] best-effort shaping-rate XX;); so, using some output firewall filters, you can put different VLANs into different queues, and shape each queue.

However you give up some of the QoS functionality (only 8 HQ queues to play with...)

___________________________

sample config I hacked together in 5 minutes on an ex2200c - passes commit.

ge-0/0/0 {
    vlan-tagging;
    unit 1 {
        description "Some cusotmer - use best-effort HW queue - shape to 100m";
        vlan-id 1;
        family inet {
            address 1.1.1.1/24;
        }
    }
    unit 2 {
        description "another cusotmer - use assured-forwarding HW queue - shape to 100m";
        vlan-id 2;
        family inet {
            address 2.2.2.1/24;
        }
    }
}

class-of-service {
    interfaces {
        ge-0/0/0 {
            scheduler-map my-wacky-per-queue-shaper;
        }
    }
    scheduler-maps {
        my-wacky-per-queue-shaper {
            forwarding-class best-effort scheduler best-effort-scheduler;
            forwarding-class assured-forwarding scheduler assured-scheduler;
        }
    }
    schedulers {
        best-effort-scheduler {
            shaping-rate 100m;
            buffer-size percent 50;
            priority low;
        }
        assured-scheduler {
            shaping-rate 100m;
            buffer-size percent 50;
            priority low;
        }
    }

You'll need to use an output firewall filter on unit 1 to shove all traffic into BE, and on unit 2 to shove all traffic to AF. Remember only 8 HQ queues; and you'll likely reserve Queue 7 for network-control anyways.. so 7 effective queues (0-6) to play with.

Secondly, the EX has SMALL HW buffers; especially if I start carving them up as I did above -- beware.

- CK.