[j-nsp] IPV6 over MPLS

Olivier Benghozi olivier.benghozi at wifirst.fr
Tue Aug 30 09:13:53 EDT 2016

Hi raf,

When using the new LDP native IPv6 support, as explained in https://www.juniper.net/techpubs/en_US/junos16.1/topics/task/configuration/configuring-ldp-native-ipv6-support.html <https://www.juniper.net/techpubs/en_US/junos16.1/topics/task/configuration/configuring-ldp-native-ipv6-support.html>
you have to "Enable forwarding equivalence class (FEC) deaggregation in order to use different labels for different address families.".
So you won't be really using "existing LSPs", but parallel ones. But that's a detail :)

However, it's 16.1R1 and you'll probably need an NBC suit to approach it. And that's probably not a detail.

So I feel that currently 6PE would still be the way to go if you want to MPLSizse your IPv6 immediately within global table.

"mpls ipv6-tunneling" is mandatory for it anyway.
You would have to add bgp inet6 labelled unicast to your iBGP, remove the ipv6 interco addresses (but keep inet6 family), remove your ibgp ipv6 mesh (and transfer your ipv6 policies to the IPv4 sessions), remove your ospfv3 (or add no-ipv6-unicast to your interfaces in isis), and you can keep your ipv6 loopbacks (to make some IPv6 pings and traceroutes) as long as you redistribute them using bgp.
I guess your bgp nexthop self policy now works properly :)

Olivier