[j-nsp] MPC4D-32*GE Major Alarms

Alex K. nsp.lists at gmail.com
Sun Feb 14 02:39:37 EST 2016

Hello everyone,

For some time now, one of my customers are getting "major alarms" from the
MPC mentioned above on one of their MX960s.

The issue is that nothing more than that message (+alarm) seems to be
present. Nothing preceding that error, neither in "log messages" nor in
"chassisd". There seems to be output rate drop, at the time of those
incidents till the MPC get restarted (by the appropriate network team) and
than everything gets back to normal.

It's worth mentioning that they have a second MX960 serving the other half
of their end-users, but configured exactly the same - which never had that
issue (therefore it's probably not traffic related).

They are running 12.3R6.6. The linecard was already replaced. There is
seems to be no trace options available for monitoring MPCs and their
internal status and Juniper web site lacks potential explanations and
leads, therefore I'm addressing the community -  any advice for getting to
the bottom of this, will be welcomed! Additionally, any experience with
troubleshooting similar hardware issues might be as helpful as any advice.

Thank you.