[j-nsp] Optimizing the FIB on MX

Dan Peachey dan at peachey.co
Fri Feb 19 06:07:11 EST 2016

On 19/02/2016 10:53, Alexander Marhold wrote:
> Hi
>

> You wrote:
>
>> One thing I haven't seen mentioned is that routers need indirect-nexthop feature enabled
>

> IMHO exactly this is also called PIC   (prefix independent convergence) so to be exact to get a prefix amount independent convergence you need a pointer to a nexthop-pointer-structure which then points to the next-hop.
>
> In case of a change of the nexthop you only need to change the pointer in the next-hop-pointer-structure independent how many prefixes are using that next-hop.
>

> Regards
>

> alexander

Cisco often call this PIC core (hierarchical FIB). I think the different
terms used by the different vendors causes some confusion. From what I
understand...

Cisco:

H-FIB = PIC Core
Node protection = PIC Edge Node Protection
Link protection = PIC Edge Link Protection

Juniper:

H-FIB = Indirect next-hop
Node protection = PIC Edge
Link protection = Provider edge link protection

However I've also seen node protection referred to as PIC core in some
Cisco documentation, so who knows :)

Regards,

Dan