[j-nsp] Optimizing the FIB on MX

Dragan Jovicic draganj84 at gmail.com
Sat Feb 20 08:27:58 EST 2016

I had a peek at JunOS documentation; regarding "protect core" and newer
unicast/labeled "protection" commands - they seem to do the same thing.
Both methods rely on having additional backup route(s) in table and being
installed into FIB, albeit with greater weight.

I see one issue with convergence in particular when using a "default"
vrf-table-label.
In case of PE1-CE1 link failure in L3VPN, PE1 must reroute packets over to
PE2, as all other routers still wait for BGP control plane convergence (as
opposed to nexthop address tracking in case of a node failure).

Because PE2 takes a peek at IP packet due to vrf-table-label, it still
might see best route over at the prefered PE1 site, hence a possible
transient loop.

On Fri, Feb 19, 2016 at 2:25 PM, Adam Vitkovsky <Adam.Vitkovsky at gamma.co.uk>