[j-nsp] Juniper ACX

Mark Tinka mark.tinka at seacom.mu
Mon Feb 22 01:31:24 EST 2016

On 9/Feb/16 17:34, Saku Ytti wrote:

> ACX covers many boxes with different HW. ACX2k is BRCM Enduro, as is
> Cisco ASR901. My comments are about ACX2k.
>

> VPLS is not supported, and I don't think it ever will be.
>
> Only way to protect control-plane would be forwarding filter where you
> match local addresses or implementing it in all interfaces. So not
> really.
>
> Firewall filters are funky, like you can't match to prefix-lists at
> all, you have to enumerate all the addresses in the firewall filter
> itself, which is peculiar, considering this is not HW feature.
> IPV6 FW filters weren't supported at all when I tested them.
>
> Very few IFL can have counters enabled (disabled by default)
>
> Shaper calculates L2 rate, which I think is categorically wrong.
>

> If you can live with the limitations, it can be useful and affordable
> box, but be sure that the CAPEX benefit is sufficient to justify the
> inherent complexity of running HW with limited HW capabilities.

As I've mentioned before on this list, we dropped it due to lack of
NG-MVPN support (limitation in the Broadcom chip used on the platform).

Juniper have no plans to get a custom, cheap chip in there.

So we went with Cisco's ASR920. Does everything we want for half the
price of their ME3600X platform, and works just like a regular ASR1000
router.

When Juniper wise-up, we shall revisit; but not until then.

Mark.