[j-nsp] Is there a noticeable performance difference between the RE-S-2000 and the RE-S-1800-X4 when rebuilding the FIB?

Adam Vitkovsky Adam.Vitkovsky at gamma.co.uk
Sun Feb 28 07:54:23 EST 2016

Hello,
> Sent: Thursday, February 25, 2016 9:00 AM
>
> Hello,
>
> let's assume a link goes down. The router (in our case a MX960) will have to
> rebuild the FIB in order to stop sending data to that interface.
>
> Is there a performance difference in such a case between the RE-S-2000 and
> the RE-S-1800-X4? How long does that process take for you? I know that with
> the smaller REs it can take ages. :)

I think the RE takes just a small part in the overall convergence time.
It is the part where LC CPU is pushing the SW FIB onto LU -one think is how fast you can read from a memory to perform a lookup and the other thing is how fast can you write information onto the memory.
But since the convergence time is not linear I believe there's some problem with buffer overflow dropped information and necessary retransmission when a lot of information needs to be programed at once
-that is if you measure convergence for 2M prefixes and divide the time by 2M to calculate convergence for one prefix you will get a much higher number than you get when you actually measure convergence for 1 prefix.

adam

        Adam Vitkovsky
        IP Engineer

T:      0333 006 5936
E:      Adam.Vitkovsky at gamma.co.uk
W:      www.gamma.co.uk

This is an email from Gamma Telecom Ltd, trading as “Gamma”. The contents of this email are confidential to the ordinary user of the email address to which it was addressed. This email is not intended to create any legal relationship. No one else may place any reliance upon it, or copy or forward all or any of it in any form (unless otherwise notified). If you receive this email in error, please accept our apologies, we would be obliged if you would telephone our postmaster on +44 (0) 808 178 9652 or email postmaster at gamma.co.uk

Gamma Telecom Limited, a company incorporated in England and Wales, with limited liability, with registered number 04340834, and whose registered office is at 5 Fleet Place London EC4M 7RD and whose principal place of business is at Kings House, Kings Road West, Newbury, Berkshire, RG14 5BY.