[j-nsp] Anybody have an SRX working with Comcast DHCP v4 and v6?

Chuck Cox chuck at chezcox.net
Sat Jul 2 00:17:46 EDT 2016

I have Comcast residential service at home terminating on an Arris
SB6121 modem. The Ethernet side of the modem is cabled to fe-0/0/0 on
an SRX-100B running 12.1X46-D40.2 (unfortunately the last code release
that will run on an SRX-100B due to its limited RAM).

DHCPv4 works fine. Comcast assigns a public v4 address for fe-0/0/0/.0
and I can access anything v4 by source NATing from my LAN
(192.168.x.x) to the v4 interface IP on fe-0/0/0.0.

DHCPv6 just sits in the init state and never gets an address
assignment, so the only v6 address on fe-0/0/0.0 is an fe80:: link
local address. I've experimented with several combinations of DHCPv6
settings but no joy.

I've done some Googling and saw several discussions about how prefix
delegation on SRX had issues for a long time and might be fixed now,
but I'm not even getting that far. If any body knows the magic
combination of client-type, client-ia-type, client-identifier, etc. to
get an SRX to play nice with Comcast, a little help would be greatly
appreciated. Relevant details on my current setup are below.

Thanks,
Chuck

> show configuration interfaces fe-0/0/0
unit 0 {
    family inet {
        dhcp-client;
    }
    family inet6 {
        dhcpv6-client {
            client-type statefull;
            client-ia-type ia-na;
            client-identifier duid-type duid-ll;
            retransmission-attempt 6;
        }
    }
}

> show configuration security zones security-zone untrust
screen untrust-screen;
interfaces {
    fe-0/0/0.0 {
        host-inbound-traffic {
            system-services {
                ping;
                dhcp;
                dhcpv6;
            }
            protocols {
                router-discovery;
            }
        }
    }
}

> show dhcpv6 client binding detail
Client Interface: fe-0/0/0.0
     Hardware Address:             50:c5:8d:2f:de:40
     State:                        INIT(DHCPV6_CLIENT_STATE_INIT)
     ClientType:                   STATEFUL
     Bind Type:                    IA_NA
     Client DUID:                  LL0x3-50:c5:8d:2f:de:40
     Rapid Commit:                 Off
     Server Ip Address:            ::/0
     Client IP Address:            ::/0