[j-nsp] Dealing with multihomed customer BGP primary/backup links

Ross Halliday ross.halliday at wtccommunications.ca
Fri Jul 15 13:37:09 EDT 2016

If I had no control over the far end I would enforce received routes with a prefix-list/routemap/policy (which you should be doing anyway), use metrics/localpref internally, and lock it down with strict uRPF.

However, my preferred approach is to place a CPE on site. We've never sold links on the basis of active/backup. We sell "redundant solutions". Gear is cheap, headaches aren't!

Cheers
Ross