[j-nsp] juniper router reccomendations

Adam Vitkovsky Adam.Vitkovsky at gamma.co.uk
Thu Jul 28 17:21:49 EDT 2016

> Mike [mailto:mike+jnsp at willitsonline.com]
> Sent: Thursday, July 28, 2016 5:09 PM
> To: Adam Vitkovsky; juniper-nsp at puck.nether.net
> Subject: Re: [j-nsp] juniper router reccomendations
>
> On 07/28/2016 12:50 AM, Adam Vitkovsky wrote:
> >
> > And on how effective is the NPU's lookup process, that is how
> > effective is the actual lookup algorithm with CPU cycles and memory
> > accesses, some NPUs can even offload complex lookup tasks to a
> > specialized chip.
> >

> I appreciate your presence on other forums, but I'm pretty sure nobody here
> needs a basic explanation of how modern router platforms work. If you
> missed it, the question was specifically about juniper and bang for the buck
> and routing bgp on 10g and filtering.
>
> Some folks helpfully suggested using strategies to to decrease the required
> size of the FIB, potentially meaning a lower box could do that job. That has
> some merit, as the OP was right in that for this job I don't really care about
> timbuktu more as whats 'close' to my two ip transit providers. I know nothing
> of juniper and I'm just wondering if
> MX80 is enough box for this or if I need to go higher up in the food chain. The
> one iptransit provider at my 'A' location appears to originate about 20
> networks from various netblocks and this would be easy to statically enter
> into config while accepting defaults from both, achieving the same net result.

Ok let me dial back a notch then.
You mentioned you need DoS filtering.
Good DoS filters can get really complex and long (hence IDS/IPS systems exist).
Complex filters cripple router's performance.
Bottom line, depending on the complexity of DoS filters and pps rate, going with the cheapest box might not cut it.
Hope you got my drift this time around.

But to answer your question filtering 10G in and routing 1G out, there's a pretty good chance you'll be fine on MX80/MX104.
Though as others have pointed out, how swift or scalable is the control-plane is another thing to consider.

PS:
Just out of interest, would you folks know if MX80 and MX104 have a Gen2 Trio? (80Gbps per single PFE seems like Gen2, unless they are doing something "smart" with multiple LUs on one XM).

adam

        Adam Vitkovsky
        IP Engineer

T:      0333 006 5936
E:      Adam.Vitkovsky at gamma.co.uk
W:      www.gamma.co.uk

This is an email from Gamma Telecom Ltd, trading as “Gamma”. The contents of this email are confidential to the ordinary user of the email address to which it was addressed. This email is not intended to create any legal relationship. No one else may place any reliance upon it, or copy or forward all or any of it in any form (unless otherwise notified). If you receive this email in error, please accept our apologies, we would be obliged if you would telephone our postmaster on +44 (0) 808 178 9652 or email postmaster at gamma.co.uk

Gamma Telecom Limited, a company incorporated in England and Wales, with limited liability, with registered number 04340834, and whose registered office is at 5 Fleet Place London EC4M 7RD and whose principal place of business is at Kings House, Kings Road West, Newbury, Berkshire, RG14 5BY.