[j-nsp] juniper router reccomendations

Saku Ytti saku at ytti.fi
Sat Jul 30 18:48:20 EDT 2016

This is all great. But I think either message customers send is
misunderstood or correct fix is hard.

Our main complain isn't that it takes long time to program FIB. Our
complain is that delta between software being updated and hardware
being updated is too large. All the investments into redundancy are
rendered useless when software starts sucking in traffic before it can
forward it.

HW and SW update times should be coupled. Of course fast FIB update is
great and welcome, but it's far more important not to blackhole.

On 31 July 2016 at 01:36, Olivier Benghozi <olivier.benghozi at wifirst.fr> wrote:
> Looks like "System performance enhancements for rpd, Packet Forwarding Engine, and kernel (MX Series)" in release notes:
> https://www.juniper.net/techpubs/en_US/junos15.1/information-products/topic-collections/release-notes/15.1F6/topic-106259.html#jd0e1020 <https://www.juniper.net/techpubs/en_US/junos15.1/information-products/topic-collections/release-notes/15.1F6/topic-106259.html#jd0e1020>
>

>> Le 29 juil. 2016 à 14:43, Jim Troutman <jamesltroutman at gmail.com> a écrit :
>>
>> "Turbo FIB" is an internal Juniper name for some speed optimizations in a
>> version of the 15.1F6 code base, that only work on 64-bit REs.    The test
>> results I saw (a powerpoint presentation) showed a greater than 10% speed
>> increase from the previous release for installing prefixes into the FIB
>> from RIB.  I don't know if this is a public release yet, I will ask our SE
>> team.  I didn't pay close attention because we don't have any 64-bit REs
>> yet.
>>
>> On Fri, Jul 29, 2016 at 12:36 AM, Giuliano Medalha <giuliano at wztech.com.br <mailto:giuliano at wztech.com.br>>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> Hello James
>>>
>>> What do you mean with turbo fib ?
>>>
>>> Is a new config from 15.1 ?
>>>
>>> Thanks a lot
>>>
>>> Giuliano

>>> can do convergence of multiple feed full table in about 55 seconds. And
>>> that is still a single core RPD process.

  ++ytti