[j-nsp] force-64bit

david.roy at orange.com david.roy at orange.com
Wed Jun 1 13:00:55 EDT 2016

Hello

We use it since  Junos 14.2. No bug encountered related to this feature.

It depends on your sizing. As Tim said check the RPD memory - Just never reach the 80%.

David

---- Tim Hoffman via juniper-nsp a écrit ----

64bit RPD is newer, and by nature will have more bugs - so don't run this
unless you need it. Check this with "show task memory" - this will show
what you have used of the RPD accessible memory. As Phil notes, you'd need
significant RIB scale (which does exist in larger networks) to require
this...

Enabling this will cause RPD to restart as you kill one process and start
another.

Tim

On Wed, Jun 1, 2016 at 9:22 AM, Phil Rosenthal <pr at isprime.com> wrote:

> I’ll ask the obvious question — do you actually have a ‘need’ for this?
>
> Even on systems with many peers, 5+ full tables, and a full IGP mesh, I
> haven’t seen rpd much over 1GB of ram in use.  64bit rpd would only be
> beneficial if you have a need for a rpd process using more than 4GB of ram.
>
> Is this a theoretical use case, or is there an actual need?
>
> Best Regards,
> -Phil Rosenthal
> > On Jun 1, 2016, at 3:58 AM, Theo Voss <mail at theo-voss.de> wrote:
> >
> > Hi,
> >
> > has anybody enabled „system processes force-64bit“ on 64bit Junos? Have
> you done this during daily ops or during a maintenance window? According to
> Juniper documentation [1] rpd must not be restarted to enable 64-bit mode:
> „You need not restart the routing protocol process (rpd) to use the 64-bit
> mode.“...
> >
> > Thanks in advance for your comments! ;-)
> >

> https://www.juniper.net/documentation/en_US/junos14.2/topics/reference/configuration-statement/routing-edit-system-processes.html
> >

> > Cheers,
> > Theo Voss

Tim Hoffman | Twitter, Inc.
1355 Market St. | San Francisco, CA | 94103