[j-nsp] force-64bit

Phil Rosenthal pr at isprime.com
Wed Jun 1 13:32:26 EDT 2016

> On Jun 1, 2016, at 10:35 AM, Tim Hoffman <thoffman at twitter.com> wrote:
>
> 64bit RPD is newer, and by nature will have more bugs - so don't run this unless you need it. Check this with "show task memory" - this will show what you have used of the RPD accessible memory. As Phil notes, you'd need significant RIB scale (which does exist in larger networks) to require this…

I suspect that there is not that high of a risk of bugs due to this change, in all likelihood, the only changes required for this was a different compiler and perhaps the use of a few 64 bit instead of 32 bit variables — but even with a low risk of bugs, if there is no benefit, I’m not sure what the point of adding even a low risk of bugs.

Best Regards,
-Phil