[j-nsp] force-64bit

Jesper Skriver jesper at skriver.dk
Thu Jun 2 06:35:07 EDT 2016

> On 01 Jun 2016, at 21:29, Vincent Bernat <bernat at luffy.cx> wrote:
>
> The other benefit would be the ability for rpd to make use of more CPU
> registers and to be faster. On average, one could expect a 20% speedup
> when recompiling for x86-64. I have absolutely no idea if such number
> would apply to rpd.

The flip side is that all pointers are twice the size, in an application like rpd I'd expect most of the memory usage to be pointers, so we can expect ~2x the memory usage. That coupled with memory access typically being the bottleneck makes it less obvious that the same code will run faster when compiled as 64bit.

/Jesper