[j-nsp] MX104 capabilities question

Ralph E. Whitmore, III ralphw at interworld.net
Tue Jun 7 14:23:46 EDT 2016

I thank everyone for their thoughts and comments, they do indeed jive with what I had already thought about the product.   As long as the MX104 is capable of handling the 5 full table BGP peers (slow I understand) I think its worth rolling one as it has to be better them my Sup720CXL’s which forces us to take smaller tables already (we are currently having to take only /20 and greater + default) from our providers as the 720 just cant hang at full tables.    In our particular application, we do not have any significant traffic (less than 1 Gb aggregate)  but large companies like redundancy so this is a good alternative.  If we were routing 20-30Gb /sec I think I might make the call to move to the MX240 but the cost doesn’t justify the end result in this case.   I will offer the bosses the alternative MX240 but doubt they will like the cost.  I guess we can say its all about compromises everywhere.

Thanks again to the list.

Ralph