[j-nsp] ACX50xx l2circuit counters

Saku Ytti saku at ytti.fi
Mon Jun 20 13:12:50 EDT 2016

I'm not pointing at JNPR, other vendors do it too. But these
cheap/dense boxes have tons of things that don't work, and can't work
and there isn't any clean nice page which lists all gotchas. I think
it's marketing, marketing fears that if all non-working stuff is
listed, people won't buy the kit, even if they actually could live
without those.

I wonder how many would skip buying ACX5k if they knew all the
control-plane protecting challenges, or inability to do IPV4+IPV6
filter in same interface, list is long. But it's same in competitors.
If JNPR would list them, people might unfairly assume vendor who does
not, is superior.

We really should have community pages documenting devices and their
limitations. Like dpreview for networking kit :/

On 20 June 2016 at 18:43, raf <raph at futomaki.net> wrote:
> Le 20/06/2016 à 06:03, Nathan Ward a écrit :
>>
>> Hi all,
>>
>> I’m deploying some ACX5048 boxes, doing l2circuits from subinterfaces off
>> to BNGs and so on.
>>
>> We’re wanting to get counters for each l2circuit, or each subinterface,
>> but as soon as a an l2circuit is attached to a subint, we lose all counters.
>>
>> We can achieve what we want, more or less, by writing a ccc family
>> firewall filter that matches anything and accepts+counts. It works, but it’s
>> certainly a bit of a hack.
>>
>> Does anyone have and tricks to make l2circuit counters work properly, or,
>> is this a lost cause?
>>
>> Have asked JTAC about this, and am waiting on a response for ~ 1 week now.
>>

> Well I guess this will be a lost cause :/
> I have to use firewall counter as well for counting sub interface or vlan
> interface, which it less corner case in my opinion. It may be a chipset
> limitation ?
>
> --
> Raphael Mazelier

  ++ytti