[j-nsp] ACX50xx l2circuit counters

Mark Tinka mark.tinka at seacom.mu
Tue Jun 21 07:45:28 EDT 2016

On 21/Jun/16 13:31, Saku Ytti wrote:

> All IP/L3 stuff is done on internal I-Chip, evolution from IP2.
> EZchip2 is there just for L2, QoS or something like that. Ironically,
> the EZchip2 itself could have done it for sure, but perhaps not at an
> acceptable rate.

Possibly - I can't say for sure.

One of the reasons I was slightly put off back then was because the DPC
did not support simple DSCP marking on ingress, using the firewall
filter feature that was available in the code. That was down to EZchip.
But then again, our customers did not require the use-case those days,
so I did not test for it.

Experience has taught me to always test for this (and other things) when
looking at new vendors, new line cards or new routers.

> This is absolutely fantastic and BRCM would probably require much
> larger volume to respin anything.

Probably, but in our case, it had nothing to do with volume. We only
ordered 100 units to start (although the number blew up a couple of
years later).

I think they did it because we were the first global customer looking to
run IP/MPLS all the way into the Metro-E Access on an unproven platform,
in a network that already had an established Layer 2 Metro-E Access
backbone, when the rest of the world could not fathom the idea of doing
this at all.

It is possible they may not have re-spun Nile if IP/MPLS in the Access
was established, and we were just a new entrant :-).

Mark.