[j-nsp] Segment Routing ( SPRING )

Clarke Morledge chmorl at wm.edu
Fri Mar 4 13:48:56 EST 2016

I am working my way through _MPLS in the SDN Era_, and I really am
intrigued by what I read about SPRING.

I got burned a few years ago trying to deploy RSVP for traffic engineering
purposes, and I ran into so many serious JUNOS bugs, I had to abandon it
and use LDP to handle labels and stick with IGP metric manipulation to do
some basic traffic enginering.  Since I do not need bandwith reservation,
I have actually appreciated the simplicity of LDP.  But it looks like
SPRING does pretty much the same thing, with less control plane overhead,
which is even more attractive.

I have a few questions for those who might know:

(a) How mature is SPRING, considering that the ISIS IGP it is built on is
well-established?

(b) Are there any noticeable behavioral differences between SPRING and LDP
implementations?

(c) Do we have any idea when P2MP LSPs will come along with SPRING? Will
it need to be coupled somehow with PIM?

Thanks.

Clarke Morledge
College of William and Mary