[j-nsp] Core network design for an ISP

Luis Balbinot luis at luisbalbinot.com
Thu Mar 24 21:02:58 EDT 2016

A good practice on MX480s would be to keep upstream and downstream ports at
separate MPCs if possible. Depending on your config the standard 256M
RLDRAM from some cards might be an issue in the not so near future. I'm not
sure how much RLDRAM those NG cards have though.

I don't see any advantages of running full tables on a virtual-router,
specially if you have a 64GB RE.

For iBGP consider multiple loopback addresses for different families. I'd
do v4 and v6 (6PE with MPLS) with one family and inet-vpn, l2vpn, etc on
another one. Even with newer REs a full table is taking quite some time to
come up.

For IGP keep a flat area, no need to segment.

If starting from scratch, look at BGP-LU. Running an MX core is expensive
in terms of cost per port. You could run a much cheaper MPLS-only core in
the future with 100Gbps interfaces at only a fraction of the cost of what a
bunch of MPC4 cards would cost.

For IXs I'd recommend a separate routing-instance. This will help you avoid
stuff like someone defaulting to you and transit deviations.

Luis