[j-nsp] Core network design for an ISP

Mark Tinka mark.tinka at seacom.mu
Sun Mar 27 06:46:52 EDT 2016

On 27/Mar/16 12:30, Saku Ytti wrote:

> I hope I was clear enough that this is absolutely more important that
> edge/core separation. But if you organically have enough MPCs and
> ports, that you don't need to invest on more cards, then you should
> separate edge+core as well.
> But of course if your density is low, you're not gonna buy 4 MPCs just
> to have this, and that is fine.

Agree.

With 10Gbps ports in the MPC's, and if you have an even number of MPC's,
we find that we naturally share MPC's between edge and core links, but
split the links across the MPC's.

We could end up with an MPC carrying only edge or core links at a single
time, but only if organic growth ends up in us adding only a single MPC
due to insufficient ports on a MIC in one of the pre-existing MPC's,
leading to an odd number of MPC's.

That said, we see that when we have to migrate from N x 10Gbps to
100Gbps for core-facing links, then we end up easily having separate
MPC's for the core (100Gps ports), and separate MPC's for the edge
(10Gbps ports).

Mark.