[j-nsp] Separate internet transit network versus converged

Adam Vitkovsky Adam.Vitkovsky at gamma.co.uk
Tue Mar 29 13:08:43 EDT 2016

> Saku Ytti [mailto:saku at ytti.fi]
> Sent: Tuesday, March 29, 2016 1:46 PM
>
> Technically not JNPR book, but reverse engineered by JNPR customer, which
> is bit of ironic that we have to do that. There is great internal Trio document
> (now dated) by Steven Wong. But it is really really good for external
> customers too. Who knows what gems they have I don't have any idea,
> which would have helped me avoid downtime or bad design choices.
> I would put in all future RFQ/RFP requirement for internal-level architecture
> documentation, since getting these otherwise is super hard. I don't
> understand why vendors don't publish these.

Yeah it's unfortunate that one has to reverse engineer Trio in order to understand it
I'd say that if you know what you want from a decent data-plane architecture you can ask very specific questions in RFQ/RFP or during discussions with vendors.

But I would not generalize here.
For example Cisco goes into a lot of detail in their public presentations.
And what's best is that you have software and system architects for asr9k available anytime for any questions online on public forums to discuss any issues or questions you may have.

And also there's nothing to hide as the architectural concepts are well known, there are tons of scientific papers and university lectures online.
-unless of course one has omitted something in which case hiding is appropriate I guess ;)

adam

        Adam Vitkovsky
        IP Engineer

T:      0333 006 5936
E:      Adam.Vitkovsky at gamma.co.uk
W:      www.gamma.co.uk

This is an email from Gamma Telecom Ltd, trading as “Gamma”. The contents of this email are confidential to the ordinary user of the email address to which it was addressed. This email is not intended to create any legal relationship. No one else may place any reliance upon it, or copy or forward all or any of it in any form (unless otherwise notified). If you receive this email in error, please accept our apologies, we would be obliged if you would telephone our postmaster on +44 (0) 808 178 9652 or email postmaster at gamma.co.uk

Gamma Telecom Limited, a company incorporated in England and Wales, with limited liability, with registered number 04340834, and whose registered office is at 5 Fleet Place London EC4M 7RD and whose principal place of business is at Kings House, Kings Road West, Newbury, Berkshire, RG14 5BY.