[j-nsp] EX4600 Vs QFX 5100 VS ACX 5048

Saku Ytti saku at ytti.fi
Tue May 3 10:22:52 EDT 2016

On 3 May 2016 at 06:40, Mark Tinka <mark.tinka at seacom.mu> wrote:

> The MX80 is a terrible idea for an MPLS-capable Metro-E device. The baby
> MX80's aren't a reasonable price to make it worth a reconsideration
> either. That was Juniper trying to address that market half-heartedly.

What is reasonable price? How much less than 3500EUR it needs to cost?
Also if you look at actual CAPEX costs of running say mobile network,
the cost of IP equipment simply does not matter. It matters to your BU
and thus your budget, but that is very narrow-minded planning, if
upper management does not see that you need more budget to do it right
and it does not impact bottom line, then you didn't do your homework
when choosing your employer.

> Back then, you had two real options - the ME3600X/3800X or the
> CER/CES2000. Anything else was just asking for it.

I'm pretty sure the are MUCH happier with MX80 than they would have
been with Whales. I don't think Whales even support everything they
do, certainly didn't back then. They use NG-MVPN, seamless MPLS, L3
MPLS VPN at scale, per-vlan HQoS, RSVP-TE with affinity and list goes
on.

> Well, the MX104 provides some competition against the ASR1000. But the
> ASR1000 has moved leaps and bounds since the MX104 was a rumour, so
> Juniper are falling behind again.

I disagree. ASR1k does stateful firewalling, NAPT, crypto etc. None of
these what MX104 can do, unless you count putting another cpu in the
box with MS-MIC.
I don't think JNPR really has anything to compete against ASR1k.

MX104 competes with ASR9001, so if what you are saying is true, then
ASR9001 competes against ASR1000, which I think is also not true.

> Against the ASR920 and ME3600X/3800X, Juniper don't have a real answer,
> to be honest. The ACX is a try, but Juniper need to commit more. I just
> don't know why they are letting this business go Cisco's way, but
> well... I won't stick around to find out.

ACX is definitely their competitor, may not be there for your
application (and this may be true for some other applications, someone
may not be able to do on ASR920 what ACX2k does), but both problems
are solvable by throwing money at it.

--
  ++ytti