[j-nsp] EX4600 Vs QFX 5100 VS ACX 5048

Mark Tinka mark.tinka at seacom.mu
Tue May 3 16:07:35 EDT 2016

On 3/May/16 16:22, Saku Ytti wrote:

> What is reasonable price? How much less than 3500EUR it needs to cost?

Oooh, it can cost less :-).

> Also if you look at actual CAPEX costs of running say mobile network,
> the cost of IP equipment simply does not matter.

Fair point - if it's a mobile network, budget for some IP routers may
not be an issue.

>  It matters to your BU
> and thus your budget, but that is very narrow-minded planning, if
> upper management does not see that you need more budget to do it right
> and it does not impact bottom line, then you didn't do your homework
> when choosing your employer.

Agree.

> I'm pretty sure the are MUCH happier with MX80 than they would have
> been with Whales. I don't think Whales even support everything they
> do, certainly didn't back then. They use NG-MVPN, seamless MPLS, L3
> MPLS VPN at scale, per-vlan HQoS, RSVP-TE with affinity and list goes
> on.

Most of this supported on the ME3600X/3800X. The only one I know that is
lacking is NG-MVPN support. Cisco kept pushing Rosen our way to avoid
developing NG-MVPN on the ME3600X/3800X. Eventually, they got bored of
the platform and put all their energy into the ASR920, which has NG-MVPN
support natively.

> I disagree. ASR1k does stateful firewalling, NAPT, crypto etc. None of
> these what MX104 can do, unless you count putting another cpu in the
> box with MS-MIC.
> I don't think JNPR really has anything to compete against ASR1k.

Fair enough.

I was looking more at general routing features (we would not use an edge
router as a firewall).

The main competitor we needed for the ASR1000 was a box that could
combine both high speed Ethernet and low speed non-Ethernet interfaces
in the same chassis at a cost that makes sense. The ASR1000 does that
very well, and for now, the MX104 does that well too.

But I agree that when it comes to other high-touch features, the ASR1000
kicks the MX104 hard!

> ACX is definitely their competitor, may not be there for your
> application (and this may be true for some other applications, someone
> may not be able to do on ASR920 what ACX2k does), but both problems
> are solvable by throwing money at it.

I've asked Juniper to solve the problems on the ACX. They flat-out refused.

They won't say I never gave them a chance - more times than they deserve.

Mark.