[j-nsp] EX4600 Vs QFX 5100 VS ACX 5048

Mark Tinka mark.tinka at seacom.mu
Thu May 5 01:35:44 EDT 2016

On 5/May/16 03:08, Colton Conor wrote:

> Mark,
>
> Which problems does the ACX5048 have today? I realize there are
> multiple models, but I specifically am talking about the ACX5048.

The ACX5000 comes in two models - the 48-port and 96-port.

We dropped the ACX5000 because of lack of NG-MVPN support, which was
down to a lack of hardware support in the Broadcom chip.

Some members of this list have had other issues for some basic features
that work well on Trio chips. I'd suggest running through the archives.

I was not planning on discovering what else the box won't do, so it was
never a consideration for us. I suppose we shall hear more as other
operators deploy it in the coming months/years.

> Also, Comcast is deploying the ACX2200 for their 2Gbps fiber to the
> home/business product. I assume that means they are low cost devices.

I don't know how the ACX2200 is priced, to be honest.

It does not look dense enough to be deployed as a high speed FTTH access
box. CPE, perhaps?

> So ASR920 vs Juniper ACX, what features are missing that you are
> getting with the Cisco that you don't get with the Juniper? I realize
> this is an unfair match.

For us, as above.

> The ASR920 tops out at 6 10G interfaces. The ACX5048 has 48 10G and 6
> 40G interfaces. Price wise, both cost about the same to activate 6 10G
> ports on each. On the Juniper the 6 40G ports are enabled on the base
> license.

In this space, I am not too fussed with interface matrix.

The majority of our Metro-E customers are going to be buying
up-to-a-Gig-E ports, which the ASR920 does very well.

Customers that want 10Gbps or higher can be transported over DWDM to my
nearest high capacity PoP. Cheaper, in the long run, than trying to find
a Metro-E box with high-density 10Gbps ports + features at a good price
in 2016.

Suffice it to say, when Cisco were developing the ASR920, merchant
silicon was an option. But when they looked at all the limitations that
could bring (as at 2013), the case was made to build the platform on an
in-house chip, which they did brilliantly and cheaply.

Mark.