[j-nsp] Virtual route reflector physical layout

raf raph at futomaki.net
Fri May 6 10:54:44 EDT 2016

Hi guys,

I got a couple of questions about the implementation of virtual route
reflector. For now I think I will use vrr from juniper, but other soft
can do the job and the question is general to out of path RRs.

While there are 'virtual' components, they can be physical connected
anywhere in the network. But as a critical part of the network they have
to be connected at the right place. In an ideal world I would take two
dedicated hypervisors for them, and connect them redundantly to the core
router (back to back). But this is not a very cheap solution.

Some questions :

- are the (v)RRs really have to be part of the IGP ? with two or more
paths to the core ?
- are the (v)RRs really have to be physically connected to routers ?

I know that Mark have deploy cisco CSR1000v, and I am interested about
details on his setup, but interested on other scenarios also :)

Thks.

--
Raphael Mazelier