[j-nsp] Stm1 to ethernet

Mark Tinka mark.tinka at seacom.mu
Wed May 18 03:18:56 EDT 2016

On 18/May/16 08:28, Anand Anand wrote:

> Planning for a inter provider l2vpn solution.
>
> Seeing an issue.
>
> Provider A has an ASBR which has stm1 interface and provider B has only
> ethernet interface in the ASBR so he uses the eosdh to convert the sdh.
>
> Can both ASBR communicate? If not, is there a way for this to make it work
> without buying eosdh box?
>
> The asbr which has the stm1 interface is juniper m10i.
>

> CE(ethernet interface)-------(eth)PE--(mpls cloud)---Asbr
> (stm1)-------(stm1)EOSDH BOX(eth)------(eth)Asbr----mpls cloud
> ----PE(eth)-----(eth)CE

If you have disparate Layer 2 protocols, you will have to interwork.

In this case, you will be interworking PPP with Ethernet.

IIRC, you can only transport IPv4 traffic when interworking different
Layer 2 protocols. I recall only doing this on Cisco, so not sure
whether Juniper have the same limitation. I think Juniper call this TCC
(Translational Cross Connect).

Alternatively, if you use SDH on both sides, then you don't need to
interwork, and can just tunnel PPP traffic.

Mark.