[j-nsp] BFD/IS-IS wait to re-establish adjacency after failure tweak knob?

Saku Ytti saku at ytti.fi
Fri May 20 14:38:38 EDT 2016

On 20 May 2016 at 20:35, Duane Grant <duaneogrant at gmail.com> wrote:

> i agree that they could make it work, but it's a biggish change.  bfd is an
> L3 protocol and below he's asking it to work at L2 and do neighbor
> discovery.  the way bfd works now, the registering protocol does or provides
> the neighbor discover part and tells bfd.  this infrastructure isn't
> available for what Adam wants to do but i agree that it would be useful and
> doable.

What I presume Adam is thinking about is not changing anything in BFD,
no L2 at all. Infrastructure change would be needed to allow
ARP/ND/BFD to continue working/trying, even though interface is down.
So potentially we'd need to make two-stage ifdown, ifdown-phys and
ifdown-bfd, with only difference that with ifdown-bfd bfd/ARP/ND
continue working, other dependants are notified as if it was normal
ifdown.

--
  ++ytti