[j-nsp] what’s the story behind MPC5E

Adam Vitkovsky Adam.Vitkovsky at gamma.co.uk
Fri May 20 21:15:47 EDT 2016

Well I'd consider MPC3 and MPC4 as Gen 1.5 because they are somewhere half way between Gen1 (LU+MQ) and Gen2 (XL+XM).

> On MPC5, Each of the two XM complexes is considered a PFE on the MPC5.
> Each XM connects with ~either 3x40G oder 2x60G on a MX960 chassis
> depending on the number of active PFE’s. That’s why it’s considered a 240G
> FDX line card.  The MPC5 comes in two flavours.. 24x10G or 2x100+4x10G …
> so no need to put more horsepowers on the backplane links.

So there are no inter XM HSL2 links on the card please?
For it to constitute as two PFEs I would then, as per design, expect there to be a separate set of VOQs per each XM(PFE) so that each XM can backpressure towards ingress LCs independently, is that the case please?
Also how does the backpressure work in this setup when the common XL gets oversubscribed does it signal backpressure to both XMs or does it know which XM is responsible for most of its cycles so it will issue backpressure signal only to that XM?
If the above is not met then I would consider it as a single PFE with two discrete arbiters feeding a common XL (which I think is just asking for trouble).

> The MPC4 has also two XM’s and is in all flavours oversubscribed… ( 32x10
> and 2x100+8x10g ). Each PFE is capable of processing ~130g traffic towards
> the backplane. Assuming a base3 chassis and scbe2 in 3+0 active mode, you
> should be able to achieve/come close to your 260g.

But MPC4E is kind of vice versa to MPC5e as it has two LU chips hooked up to one XM.
And my understanding is that this ensemble is twice on the card amounting to two discrete PFEs (each with 2xLU and an XM).

adam

        Adam Vitkovsky
        IP Engineer

T:      0333 006 5936
E:      Adam.Vitkovsky at gamma.co.uk
W:      www.gamma.co.uk

This is an email from Gamma Telecom Ltd, trading as “Gamma”. The contents of this email are confidential to the ordinary user of the email address to which it was addressed. This email is not intended to create any legal relationship. No one else may place any reliance upon it, or copy or forward all or any of it in any form (unless otherwise notified). If you receive this email in error, please accept our apologies, we would be obliged if you would telephone our postmaster on +44 (0) 808 178 9652 or email postmaster at gamma.co.uk

Gamma Telecom Limited, a company incorporated in England and Wales, with limited liability, with registered number 04340834, and whose registered office is at 5 Fleet Place London EC4M 7RD and whose principal place of business is at Kings House, Kings Road West, Newbury, Berkshire, RG14 5BY.