[j-nsp] what’s the story behind MPC5E

Hannes Viertel hviertel at juniper.net
Fri May 20 11:23:04 EDT 2016

A couple of remarks

It’s more like Gen2 (MPC4) and Gen2,5 (MPC5) trio…

On MPC5, Each of the two XM complexes is considered a PFE on the MPC5. Each XM connects with ~either 3x40G oder 2x60G on a MX960 chassis depending on the number of active PFE’s. That’s why it’s considered a 240G FDX line card.  The MPC5 comes in two flavours.. 24x10G or 2x100+4x10G … so no need to put more horsepowers on the backplane links.

The MPC4 has also two XM’s and is in all flavours oversubscribed… ( 32x10 and 2x100+8x10g ). Each PFE is capable of processing ~130g traffic towards the backplane. Assuming a base3 chassis and scbe2 in 3+0 active mode, you should be able to achieve/come close to your 260g.

Like David mentioned, the XQ on the MPC5 is crying for  services where hcos/per subscriber queueing is required in large scale.

Hope that helps

hannes