[j-nsp] RE-S-X6-64G-BB

Michael Still stillwaxin at gmail.com
Wed May 25 12:44:59 EDT 2016

On Wed, May 25, 2016 at 12:31 PM, Colton Conor <colton.conor at gmail.com>
wrote:

> Assuming we are not going to be using these new RE's to load any 3rd party
> software on them, the RE-S-X6-64G-BB will just be a quicker processor with
> more ram compared to an older RE right? Are there any other benefits?
> Juniper is offering the RE-S-X6-64G-BB for the same price as
> the RE-S-1800X4-32G. Not sure why one would not go with the new RE with
> more ram?

Couple reasons. First is that this is pretty shiny new product and it's a
good idea to expect bugs to be found in it. Second is that it requires you
to run much newer / less well baked code than a lot of people are
comfortable with in their networks. Combine these two and there's going to
be lots of hesitation on these for 6 months or so. The 1800 has been a real
workhorse on this platform for a few years now and has proven to be a
pretty good RE and still good for the majority of the uses cases out there.

--
[stillwaxin at gmail.com ~]$ cat .signature
cat: .signature: No such file or directory