[j-nsp] RE-S-X6-64G-BB

Phil Rosenthal pr at isprime.com
Wed May 25 12:52:50 EDT 2016

> On May 25, 2016, at 12:31 PM, Colton Conor <colton.conor at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Assuming we are not going to be using these new RE's to load any 3rd party
> software on them, the RE-S-X6-64G-BB will just be a quicker processor with
> more ram compared to an older RE right? Are there any other benefits?
> Juniper is offering the RE-S-X6-64G-BB for the same price as
> the RE-S-1800X4-32G. Not sure why one would not go with the new RE with
> more ram?

This new RE requires Junos 15.1R4 minimum.  If you have a reason to use 14.x or 13.x, then this RE will not work for you.

> On May 25, 2016, at 10:34 AM, Saku Ytti <saku at ytti.fi> wrote:
>
> I don't see those corner cases as particularly useful. I can't help to
> wonder, is VM a white-label play in disguise? Are some customers not
> running IOS-XR/JunOS at all, just not starting that VM, instead
> running own VM with under NDA documents how to program the hardware?
> Or is the 3rd party VM just marketing gimmick, because they get VM
> 'for free', as they need it for their own infrastructure, to provide
> better redundancy, upgradability and loose coupling to underlaying
> control-plane HW. So as it is going to be there anyhow, no harm done
> investing some marketing efforts to see if market figures out if there
> is application for 3rd party VMs.

I would bet money on this being the case. I would assume that a certain company that has a large search engine is of the general opinion "We like the hardware, but we do not want to use your software in any way. We can write our own software."

-Phil