[j-nsp] QoS when there is no congestion

Tim St. Pierre tim at communicatefreely.net
Tue Nov 8 09:01:39 EST 2016

If you have some lower bandwidth links, you may still see a latency
improvement if you implement QoS.

The important thing here is in your output queues, as strict priority
will see voice traffic serviced first.  Even if nothing is ever dropped,
going out the queue first keeps latency low.

-Tim

On 2016-11-08 04:48 AM, tim tiriche wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Do we need QoS if there is no congestion in the network for Voice/Video
> traffic?
>
> Is there a case where Voice/Video traffic could experience any delay if
> there were data packets to process before the voip traffic?
>
> Would this be a concern on older hardware?
>
> for example:
>
> [voip][data][data][data][data] --> router
>
> -Tim

Tim St. Pierre
System Operator
Communicate Freely