[j-nsp] QoS when there is no congestion

Andrey Khomyakov khomyakov.andrey at gmail.com
Tue Nov 8 12:00:17 EST 2016

My understanding was that if you don't have congestion, QoS is simply
useless for a number of reasons:

1. You spend engineering hours writing/debugging policy that will never get
used (we assuming no congestion)
2. QoS on egress will not go into effect (other than incrementing counters)
because there is no buffering at this point. Since your buffers are empty.
Your packets go straight into the tx ring and you can't yank priority
packets out of them to place on the wire before the less important packets.
3. And lastly, it's nearly always cheaper just to get more bandwidth then
to spend time on QoS designs.

In fact, I found in some cases QoS hurts more than it helps, because you
are limiting the amount of bandwidth available to high priority packets
(either priority, policy or shape) and you will have a chance for tail
drops or WRED even on a non congested link.

-Andrey

--Andrey