[j-nsp] QoS when there is no congestion

Aaron aaron1 at gvtc.com
Tue Nov 8 12:58:22 EST 2016

Thanks Andrey, you mentioned ... "In fact, I found in some cases QoS hurts
more than it helps, because you are limiting the amount of bandwidth
available to high priority packets (either priority, policy or shape) and
you will have a chance for tail drops or WRED even on a non congested link."

Question - what if you don't limit the amount of bandwidth available to high
pri traffic, in other words, what if, on a 1 gig link, you say 1 gbps for
the priority queue and 100% available to everything else, and then if there
is hi-pri traffic, it gets what it needs, but when there isn't hi-pri
traffic taking up 1 gbps, then everything else can use up to 100% minus what
hi-pri traffic needs. ?

eng-lab-3600-1#sh run policy-map qos-test
Building configuration...

Current configuration : 126 bytes
!
policy-map qos-test
 class qos-test
  priority
  police 1,000,000,000
 class class-default
  shape average percent 100
!
End

- Aaron

p.s. sorry I don't have a junos example, but I've been tinkering with this
in Cisco IOS
p.s.s. commas inserted into the police command for ease of readability for
y'all on the mail list