[j-nsp] QoS when there is no congestion

Andrey Khomyakov khomyakov.andrey at gmail.com
Tue Nov 8 15:49:19 EST 2016

You could end up in a DoS situation where some rouge source send 1gbps worth of packets matching your priority class. That's just of top of my head.
Also, depending on what you decide to match on (e.g IP, DSCP marks, ingress iface, etc) you'll constantly will have to tinker with the policy whenever you need to add/remove traffic which will be painful (unless you automate it, of course) depending on your change control policies and frequency of changes.
If this is a long haul link, one can try to build a business case between cost of additional circuit (or upgrading the existing one) and efforts to design and operate.
If this is in the data center, just add another port, use ECMP and forget about QoS.
That's just my opinion. As they say: "YMMV"

Sent from mobile