[j-nsp] QoS when there is no congestion

Andrey Khomyakov khomyakov.andrey at gmail.com
Tue Nov 15 11:26:30 EST 2016

I think this is where I was misunderstood. Firstly, "proper" user
*shouldn't* (see points about policers) hurt, but "proper" requires
research into your whole network. The point I was making was based on the
OP's initial statement that there is no congestion in the network, QoS will
not help anything, because as long as the packet is not being buffered
(queued), it won't have a chance to be reordered by QoS, but rather will go
straight to the tx ring.

Again, I can't state this enough: the OP explicitly stated lack of
congestion *anywhere in the network*. The rest are assumptions made that OP
simply doesn't realize that there is congestion on the network.

So put it simply, if there is no congestion *anywhere* QoS is a lot of
effort with very little to no payback and new risks coming from potential
for  improper configuration and additional complexity.
If there is congestion, then by all means, make the business case that
additional complexity and configuration management costs are lower than
simply increasing the size of the pipe where congestion is. Hence YMMV note.
At the end it all comes down to $$$. If you can demonstrate that tinkering
with QoS is cheaper than not, I agree, go with QoS.

--Andrey